The Chairperson of the African Union Commission released a statement that his office invited the Chinese Ambassador to African Union and expressed the continent’s unhappiness about reports of racism being meted on black of African origins by the Chinese people and their Government.
“The African Group of Ambassadors in Beijing present its compliments to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China and International Department of the Communist Party of China and has the honour to as a follow up of a meeting with a selected African Ambassadors held on Thursday, 9th April, 2020 strongly protest the ongoing forceful testing and quarantine and maltreatment of African Nationals in China and in Guangdong Province in particular.”
The statement went on to state that, “It is therefore worrisome, following this excellent cooperation and mutual friendship that, the African Group of Ambassadors observes with consternations the discrimination and stigmatization of Africans whereby they are made to forcefully, and in a very crude manner to undergo epidemic investigation and Nucleic Acid Test, fourteen (14) days quarantine even if they had not travelled outside their jurisdictions, not come into contact with infected persons, not had close contact or showing any symptoms of the COVID-19”.
“We would like to underscore that friendship between Africa and China should be mutual and not a one way affair. Regrettably, we have received disquieting reports of inhuman treatments meted out to Africans particularly in Guangdong Province and would like to enumerate just but a few:
● African nationals ejected including Togolese, Nigerians, and Benenois from their hotels in the middle of the night only because they are Africans;
● A group of African students studying in Sun-Yat Sen University in Guangzhou were made to undergo the Nucleic Acid Test, in spite
of the fact that they had no travel history within the stated period.
● Selective testing of African students while their non African colleagues are left out.
● There were cases of African men married to Chinese ladies and they were demanded to take the COVID-19 test and their Chinese
families left out. In some cases the men were pulled out of their families and quarantined in hotels alone.
● Forced evictions of Africans from their various apartments and thrown into the streets even those with infant children.
● Seizure of passports of African nationals in violation of international practices and conventions
● Persistent harassment and humiliation of African nationals by subjecting them to unwarranted medical examinations after testing
negative for the COVID-19, and forced into quarantine, irrespective of their negative status;
● Threats of revocation of visas, arrest, detention and deportation of African legal migrants for no cogent reason which infringes on their
From the foregoing the impression is being created as though the spread of the virus is caused by Africans contrary to the fact that , in China and indeed globally, Africans are the least exposed to COVID-19 OR is there any other reason for which Africans are being targeted other than COVID-19 that we are unaware of ? “
“We would also want to bring to your attention the possible backlash in our home countries of this obvious human rights violation.”